Sunday, February 1, 2009

Adages for the Ages

A few weeks ago, I listed ten "thoughts for the day" taken from a long list I had received titled "A Great Holiday Recipe." In response to popular demand (well, at least two), here are another ten that we'll call "Adages for the Ages." Your age, of course. To follow the theme of my blog, the mystery is why we have to keep reminding ourselves to use good common sense.


1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. Smile while you walk. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.

2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Talk to God about what is going on in your life.

3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is processed.

4. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead, invest your energy in the positive present moment.

5. Make peace with your past so it will not spoil the present.

6. Don't compare your life to others because you have no idea about their journey.

7. No one is in charge of your happiness except you. Will this matter in five years?

8. Your job will not take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will. Stay in touch!!!

9. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

10. Each night befo0re you go to bed, complete the following statements: I am thankful for ______________. Today I accomplished ______________.

Okay, here's a bonus:

11. Remember that you are "too blessed to be stressed."

HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

4 comments:

Marta Stephens said...

Hi Chester. An excellent list to live by. And you're right, why do we need reminding? Human nature, I guess. ;)

PS: Have you been to my new blog?
http://samharpercrimescene.blogspot.com

Helen Ginger said...

Great list, Chester. I especially identify with #8. The older I get, the more I value my friends.

Helen Ginger
http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com

Chester Campbell said...

I'll have to check out the new blog, Marta. I suppose we have too much human and not enough nature.

You're right, Helen. Age does make a difference.

Anonymous said...

Oof, I still have hard times with #4.